This release contains a major update to mob AI and level 4 scenery and effects. The new mob AI additions allow enemies to work together better. They don’t bump into each other as much and will be able to move around the player to attack simultaneously rather than the near single file attacks from before. While all enemies have those capabilities, certain enemies now have cooperative behavior which allows them to call upon nearby allies to aid them if they are fighting the player.
As a result of the improvements to mob AI and single combat we rebalanced both hit scores and survival elements to make it easier to live in the earlier levels. We also added armor to some humanoid enemy types (e.g. skeleton warlords). Basically certain enemies have areas that look heavily armored around parts of the body and if you were to hit those parts the damage would be reduced.
In addition to the enemies getting a boost, the player weapons have been adjusted in hit value per type of strike (e.g. overhead vs swing). Each weapon type’s armor penetration value and speed is now different so that each one is better depending on the situation. For example, the player sword has the fastest attacks but is not as effective as a mace against armored enemies.
We have also completed all additions to scenery in level 4 (second orc level). These include many new effects (e.g. fires, earthquakes). Finally, we were able to improve performance in level 4.
Here are the full details of the update:
- Improved mob AI behavior for all enemy types
- Added cooperative group behavior for some enemies
- Added new scenery and effects in level 4 (e.g. fires, earthquakes, magic poison)
- Added new scenery and effects in Levels 1 and 2
- Added armor to some humanoid enemy types
- Player weapon differentiation now includes armor effects
- Rebalanced all levels for mob AI and combat style
- Improved performance in level 4
- Fix several minor bugs
Thanks for your feedback and support. Let us know what you think about our new changes!